Passive components, such as capacitors, resistors, inductors or filters, are crucial to make the (electronics) world “go round”. There is no semiconductor component and no electronic circuitry which can work properly without passive components.
The EPCIA Student Award grants all students – graduate and PhD candidates – the possibility to attend a conference and present their thesis on passive components to an expert audience. The Award is initiated and granted by the European Passive Component Industry Association (EPCIA), together with the European Center for Power Electronics (ECPE) and the European Passive Components Institute (EPCI). All students (graduate and PhD) interested in passive components are invited to apply. It grants up to six students per year the possibility to win €1,000 price money each and the possibility to present their thesis on passive components to an expert audience.
To see if you or your team is eligible for an EPCIA Student Award, read the Terms & Conditions carefully.
If so, do not hesitate to apply and send the following documentation to this e-mail address: email@example.com
- a completed Application Form
- an abstract of the related thesis or paper
- the title of the ECPE event and / or PCNS conference you wish to join
- and documentation proving you are affiliated to a university
All submissions will be reviewed by a panel of experts that is going to decide on winning applications based on their degree of innovation / originality related to passive components and their benefits for consumers, society, or the environment.
Terms & Conditions of Participation in the EPCIA Student Award
You can download the Terms & Conditions here.
The EPCIA Student Award (hereinafter referred to as the “Award” ) is presented by the EPCIA, the European Passive Components Industry Association, in cooperation with ECPE European Center for Power Electronics e.V. and the European Passive Components Institute (EPCI), hereinafter referred to as the “Organiser”. The participation in and the granting of the Award are subject exclusively to the following provisions:
Passive components – like capacitors, resistors, inductors or filters – are crucial to make the (electronics) world “go round”. There is no semiconductor component and no electronic circuitry which can work properly without passive components.
EPCIA – the European Passive Components Industry Association – is representing this important industry segment in Europe.
ECPE European Center for Power Electronics e.V. the industry-driven research network, promotes education, innovation, science, research and technology transfer in the area of power electronics in Europe (www.ecpe.org).
EPCI – the European Passive Components Institute – is dedicated to providing easy-to-get, independent and verified information for stakeholders in the passive components “niche” market (www.epci.eu).
To promote both – the passive components industry and EPCIA – it has been decided to offer an Award to all students, graduate students and PhD candidates who participate in an ECPE event and / or Passive Components Networking Symposium (PCNS) and have addressed issues related to passive components in their respective thesis or paper subject to the conditions stated below.
The EPCIA Student Award programme grants maximum six Awards per year and will run for 3 years (starting from 1 January 2021).
1.1 Who can participate?
- All students, graduate students and PhD candidates of age (individual persons as well as teams) who participate in an ECPE event and / or PCNS conference (which might take place virtually) and have addressed in their thesis or papers subjects related to passive components (hereinafter referred to as “Applicant(s)”).
- The Award is open to Applicants as any such person who is enrolled at an education or research institution recognised by the respective state in which it is located, such as a public or private university, a university of applied sciences, a university of cooperative education or similar. It is not relevant in which country the education institution is established provided it is recognised in such country. Former students of such education institution have the opportunity to participate, provided the work was created during their studies and the Applicants were enrolled at such education institution at least 3 months prior to the deadline of the EPCIA Student Award programme for which the paper or thesis has been submitted.
- For the sake of clarification: Individual and group work is expressly permitted for the purpose of the Award, team members will be regarded as one Applicant.
1.2 What can be submitted?
- Every thesis or paper that addresses subjects related to passive components.
- Each submission and any related content remain the property of the author(s) at all times.
Application documents must be submitted in English.
- Submission deadline: 3 months before the ECPE event for which the Applicant has registered. Such dates of qualifying ECPE events will be announced timely via this link; the next PCNS conference is taking place on 7-10 September 2021.
- To register, please use the online Application Form (as PDF or Word document).
- What we expect for the submission:
– the Application Form,
– an abstract of the related thesis or paper,
– the title of the ECPE event and / or PCNS conference which will be joined by the Applicant, and
– university affiliation documentation.
The Applicant is solely responsible for ensuring that his or her content does not infringe the rights of third parties (e.g. copyrights, ancillary copyrights, patent rights, trademark rights, personal rights, name rights, etc.).
3. The winning opportunities
The Award may be awarded under the following conditions:
- Each Award is granted with EUR 1,000.00 subject to the provision that one grant may be split amongst more than one Applicant. Per calendar year, Awards of up to a maximum of EUR 6,000.00 in sum may be granted.
- One Applicant can receive only one Award per calendar year irrespective of whether the paper / thesis has been submitted by more than one applicant.
- Only one Applicant / team per application will be granted an Award. For the sake of clarification: If and to the extent a team as Applicant is granted an Award, the maximum sum related to such awarding shall be EUR 1,000.00.
- If the Applicant is granted an Award in one calendar year, the applicant is not eligible to apply again until one full calendar year has passed between these applications.
- Submission of more than one paper / thesis per Applicant is permissible.
- Submission of a paper / thesis has to be done 3 months before the ECPE event for which the applicant has registered. Such dates of qualifying ECPE events will be announced timely via this link; ; more information on the PCNS conference can be found here.
- Re-submission of papers / theses by one Applicant is permissible provided such paper has not received an Award previously.
4. Evaluation and determination of winners
- After the submission deadline, the submissions will be made accessible to the jury, a panel of experts designated by EPCIA in their free discretion.
- The jury will subsequently choose any winners from the Applicants at least one month before the related ECPE event and / or PCNS conference. It might happen that no winner is chosen by the jury.
- The evaluation criteria are as follows:
> Degree of innovation / originality related to passive components
> Benefits for consumer, society, & environment
- The Organiser or the jury appointed by the EPCIA is entitled to reject or subsequently exclude an Applicant from the Award – even after having granted an Award – if her / his submission violates legal regulations, in particular infringes third party rights, has been conducted in violation of academic principles, in particular with respect to plagiarism or citations, and / or contains racist, pornographic, homophobic, violence-glorifying, sexist, political content or surreptitious advertising or content otherwise objectionable in the jury’s free discretions. Violations of these terms and conditions, attempts to tamper with the voting process and / or unfair influence on the jury will result in exclusion.
- The winner(s) will be notified of the result. The Awards will be granted to the winner(s) at the occasion of the event / conference either face-to-face or in a virtual manner. The winner(s) may participate in such an event / conference at their own cost.
The decisions of the jury are final and not subject to appeal. Legal recourse is excluded and under no circumstances is there an obligation to grant an Award at all or to any particular Applicant.
5. Consent to the publication of the project
- With participation in the Award, the Applicants grant the Organiser the right to use the data of the registration and the participation for marketing purposes, in the sense of the project (including press releases, websites, social media channels and marketing materials). Examples of this are:
> Naming of Applicants / winners as well as descriptions in connection with the related theses and papers as well as the relating education institutions, e.g. on the website, in newsletters or in other press releases and other documents
> Mention in conference brochures / programme
> Mention in social media channels
- The Applicant grants the Organiser the perpetual, worldwide and unrestricted right to use photographs, graphics and other image and personal material that are submitted with or related to the application. The same applies to photographs of Applicants taken at Award events on behalf of the Organiser. The licensing includes the right to reproduce, distribute, exhibit, perform, make available to the public, broadcast, reproduce on image carriers and to reproduce in public. In particular, the licensing includes the right to use the image material in press releases and advertising materials for all print and digital editions, the right to make it available to third parties for publication, duplication and dissemination for public relation purposes, the right to present it at events; the right to make it publicly available, duplicate and distribute it on websites and social media channels and the right to edit it. The Applicant assures that he is the owner of the essential rights of the image material and that he can freely dispose of it and that the contractual use of the material by the Organisers does not infringe any rights of third parties.
6. Disclaimer, limitations of liability, indemnification
- In the case of slightly negligent breaches of duty, the liability of the Organiser is limited to the foreseeable, contract-typical, direct damage. Insofar as the liability of the Organiser is excluded or limited, this shall also apply to the personal liability of its employees, representatives and vicarious agents.
- The above limitations of liability shall not apply if the Applicant’s claims are based on product liability. Furthermore, they shall not apply to injury to life, body or health of the user attributable to the Organiser or to damage caused intentionally or negligently by the Organiser.
- The Applicant shall indemnify the Organiser against all claims asserted against the Organiser by other Applicants or other third parties, insofar as this is based on infringement of their rights by the contents used by the Applicant or conduct during the execution of the Award. The Applicant also assumes the costs of the necessary legal defence of the Organiser including all court and attorney fees. This does not apply if the Applicant is not responsible for the infringement. The Applicant is obliged to make available to the Organiser immediately, truthfully and completely all information necessary for the examination of the claims and a defence in the event of a claim by third parties.
7. Data protection
Our data protection policy is available at this link.
8. Final provisions
German law applies. Should any of these terms and conditions be or become invalid, this shall not affect the validity of the remaining terms and conditions.
Board of EPCIA European Passive Components Industry Association
A member of
European Electronic Component Manufacturers' Association aisbl
Rue de la Duchesse 11-13
Authorised representative of the board:
Register court: EECA’s EU Transparency Registry number: 22092908193-23